The core of bio hacking is finding tricks and tools that cause a big impact with very little effort. Call it enlightened laziness or the relentless pursuit for personal perfections, if there is any difference between them. It’s time to write about the Modafinil, the performance-enhancing smart drugs that belong in your bag of bio hacker tricks, at least some of the time. This post shares the experience of several people who use it, including first-time users and an interview with the biomedical engineer who, like me, is a long-time Modafinil user. Read to the end for warnings.
What is modafinil?
Modafinil is a very smart drug, also known as a nootropic. It enhances your cognitive function in a many variety of ways (more on that in a second) . There are plenty of smart drugs, but modafinil stands in a class of its own for a few reasons which given bellow:
1. It’s not a stimulant. Modafinil acts sort of like a stimulant, but it’s actually a eugeroic – a wakefulness-promoting agents. It doesn’t make you speedy or jittery like most of the classical stimulants do. Modafinil also doesn’t have a crash or withdrawal, the way to smart drugs do.
2. It’s not addictive. In fact, modafinil can also help people kick addictions.
3. It has few to no side effects. Modafinil is very safe. I’ve hacked my brain with neuro feedback so much that I don’t see much of a benefit from modafinil now, but I took it every day for 10 years and saw no problems of any kind with its during that time.
4. It works Really very well. Have you seen any movie Limitless with Bradley Cooper? It’s totally based on modafinil. This facts gives you superhuman mental processing, with few to no downsides.
How modafinil enhances your brain and moods
Unlike some smart drugs, there’s a good deal of evidence to back up the main effects of Modafinil.
1. It has been shown to increase your resistance to fatigue and improve your moods.
2. In healthy adults, modafinil improves “fatigue levels, motivation, reaction time and more vigilance.”
3. A study published by the University of Cambridge found Modafinil to be effective at reducing “impulse response”, i.e., very bad decisions.
4. Modafinil even improves your brain function in sleep deprived doctors.
5. There is some evidence Modafinil only helps people with lower IQ, but after years of experimenting (and upgrading my IQ), it doesn’t feel that good way.
Is modafinil feel safe?
Modafinil is not addictive. It has a very risk of abuse, however – some people use it to stay up for way too long, which will probably make you socks.
There is an extremely rare very condition (about 5 cases per million people) called SJS, or Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, in which people with genetic susceptibility can develop the dangerous life threatening rash. SJS is most often triggered by antibiotics, followed by analgesics, cough and cold medications, NSAIDs, psych epileptics, and antigout drugs. Cocaine, phenytoin, and modafinil can trigger this. More info here.
Even though the risk is low then, you might want to get a genetic test before you use any type of those drugs, including Modafinil. If you have only one of these SNPs, you may have an increased risk, and to have the lowest risk, there are a lot of drugs you should avoid including some basic information of antibiotics…and Modafinil.
I never got tested because the incidence is very low. The full results are not available on the affordable genetic testing site 23 and me, but you can ask your doctor to orders at least some of these tests through Quest Diagnostics. I don’t know anyone who has gotten these type of tests, for what it’s worth.
How to dose modafinil
For most healthy peoples, 30-50 mg of modafinil will be plenty. It lasts 6-8 hours; take it in the morning, with or without any food. I should say that modafinil is a prescription drug; you can also talk to your doctor about it. There are places you can get it online also; I don’t want to link to them
because of legal issues…but you may be able to find a important source. Bio hack responsibly, of course.
Use alternatives to modafinil
Not everyone’s game to take a prescription drugs for cognition. Race tams and micro doses of nicotine offer similar benefits to modafinil.
If you want to play with nootropics but don’t want the hassle of talking to a doctor/ordering illegally, here’s an in-depth breakdown of the best smart drugs alternatives to modafinil, most of which you can also get without a prescription.